How to play content on Android

zeus
Hello,

I'm a little confuzed after reading the documents, If you can help it would be a lot greatful. until now i was able to browse the mediaserver and show the folder information, if there is an audio file, i'm unable to find out how to play the file. Do I have to use the connection manager connectionManager as mentioned here? or should I construct a URL and pass it to the mediarenderer? Please help .

Thanks
Ole

Re: How to play content on Android

Ole
You seem to have misunderstood a couple of concepts, so let me try to clarify a little:
When you write "How to play content on Android" it indicated that you are interested in Cling MediaRenderer. Thus, you should read chapter 4 "Accessing and providing MediaRenderers". Chapter 3 which you refer to is about "Accessing and providing MediaServers".
The Cling MediaRenderer is a fully functional Media Renderer. However, it will not run on Android without a certain amount of hacking, basically because it uses Swing/Awt which is not implemented on Android.
You should also be aware that MediaRenderer relies on GStreamer-Java bindings, which use JNA (not ported to Android) and requires GStreamer 0.1, which is no longer maintained by the GStreamer Project.

Best regards
Ole

Re: How to play content on Android

bergstr
It is quite possible to write a mediarenderer on android using cling. There is no dependency on swing or gstreamer in the core framework. Of course, you have to write an android UI yourself, and write the code that interfaces to the android built-in MediaRenderer (which would be the obvious choice for a backend on android). You won't be lucky porting the renderer sample application over to android.

In case anybody wants to ask: I will not provide complete working code for this. You will have to figure out based on the material that is there (which is plenty).

Chris

Re: How to play content on Android

bergstr
Reading the first post again, it seems you already have a mediarenderer. Yes, you need to pass it the media Url via setAVTransportURL