Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Kenneth
This post was updated on .
Hi there
I have some questions regarding the Cling framework and UPNP
Is it possible to sync streams between UPNP clients?
I saw that the UPNP framework have a sync clock. Is that for syncing clients?

I hope you can help me here.

Best regards
Kenneth

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

I don't know what that means.

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Kenneth
Is that better? :-) ...or could you explain, what you don't understand ;-)

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Michael Pujos
If you mean synced audio playback using UPnP AV renderers then it is not possible with regular UPnP AV.

Nothing prevents you from playing the same stream to several renderers at the same time, but it will not be synced and you'll get anything between 0-10s lag.

I think recent versions of the MediaRenderer spec  added Sync* functions (SyncPlay, ...) for this, but as no renderer I know of implements them, it is pretty much as it did not exist.

Sony also seems to have custom services for this, for their devices to achieve what they call "Party mode".

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Kenneth
Okay thank you for your reply.
Yes I know that som upnp servers can stream to multiple renders and for each render you can configure a latency time for the lag/buffer on the render.
It is precise the SyncPlay function I have been reading about :-) I had in mind to implement this on a Raspberry Pi platform and use that in several rooms streaming from my upnp server. So I can say goodbye to my squeezebox system...

Next BIG question: Does anybody know if Cling supports the SyncPlay functionality? :-)

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

Kenneth
Found the SyncPlay pdf where I have read about it: http://upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-AVArchitecture-v2.pdf

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

bergstr
Kenneth wrote
Next BIG question: Does anybody know if Cling supports the SyncPlay functionality? :-)
depends on what you mean by "support". The SyncPlay functionality, according to the document you pointed to, consists of a number of extra actions on the AVTransport service. The AVTransportService class that is pre-implemented in the cling support module does not provide these out-of-the-box, but cling core provides all means required to make the job of implementing them fairly easy.

Of course, you need to provide renderer (thats your raspberry pi, I assume), server (most likely not the one you're currently using) and control point implementations that understand this protocol.. Good luck!

chris

Re: Is it possible to sync streams between UPNPclients?

hhhh
i have same problem  do you solve it?